Thursday 12 February 2015

Dabbling with Silk Clay !

Hello everyone, Yvonne here, it's my week to share an ATP Exchange Post with you.
I love to use up bits and pieces that can be found on my desk, often lefts overs, but to my mind useful.
But first of all I want to share this  product  with you.
It's so easy to use ............ 'Silk Clay'.
 
 It's smooth, flexible, lightweight, self hardening and feels like rubber when you use it.
There are a variety of colours, but I chose to go with white, then the colouring would be my choice.
One of the molds I used is shown in the photo Mod Podge Industrial
 
As you can see it can be used in molds. Use small pieces of clay, be sure  you press it well down , then  ease it gently away from the side of the shape,  (makes it easier to remove and doesn't need trimming].
 Pressed into stamps, with cutters,  or shaped by hand.
When using the mold, I have found it easier to  remove, if you lightly dust the mold with talc first.
You can remove it from the mold quite quickly and leave it to set on your desk.
I found for me  that about 30 minutes was the ideal time before removing it from the mold.
 
A little goes a long way, I made all of these shapes, using only about a third of the pot.
At £1. 99  I  call that a bargain buy.
 
It is easy to colour as well.
The colours I used here were to fit in with my project.
So what did I make?
 
 
A  recycled base canvas 7 x 5 inches, painted with a few coats of White Gesso
 to cover the original decoration.
Old book page scraps, buttons, Washi Tape, scrap of material, and a few metal bits and pieces.
 
More texture added using Grunge Paste and  a Gothic stencil by Tim Holtz.
Then a few more coats of White Gesso
 
Random stamping using a very old script stamp.
 
Starting to lay on some colour using Prima Colour bloom, Summer Story and Dylusions White linen sprays.
 
This is the where I decided to stop and began  adding some Treasure Gold White Fire, to highlight the assorted bits and pieces.
 
The focal image and quote are  from the Dina Wakley Scribbly Women set.
Stamped onto tissue with Black Staz On. Tearing around the edges rather than using scissors gets a better finish when adding to the canvas and textures using matt Gel medium.
So here is my finished canvas, 
I  added some  of my home made embellishments adding extra Treasure Gold highlights.
All the products I've used that available from Artist Trading Post are linked
 so you can find them easily. 
Online or in the bricks and mortar shop you will find a fantastic range of products for all your crafting needs.
 
Yvonne
x

13 comments:

  1. This is lovely Yvonne. Love how you built it up and the colours you have used. Fab post thank you for sharing about the clay too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great ideas here Yvonne! Can't wait to et my hands on some of that clay ! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Yvonne! I love the blues with the black stamping and what an amazing collection of things you put together for texture! Isn't it so much fun to make your own embellishments!! I'm a huge fan of molds. big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I've just received a pot of the silk clay and I must say its fab. So much nicer to use then normal air dry clay. Your finished creation is a stunner ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the detail, have never tried silk clay. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial! I had no idea so many of your embellishments were made from silk clay. This is on my list and it looks so much easier than the 2 step clay process! Love your canvas and thanks for such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking at this product for a while now Yvonne and now you've made me realise that I NEED some! I love the tutorial you've presented for using it and your finished piece is wonderful! An inspiring tutorial.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Great textures and I love how you used the clay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!! A fabulous inspiring exchange post Yvonne :-) I have never used this particular brand, but love the stunning embellishments you have created.



    Tfs and crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous post Yvonne, love your explorations with silk clay, inspired me to explore even more with it... and a just love her hat....it's gorgeous!! Hugs Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear! Another product I 'need' .... I love everything you made with the silk clay and your finished canvas is just stunning Yvonne, I love it. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely fabulous! I need more stash - yep more products required just like Anne! Karen x

    ReplyDelete